Have the Winter Blues as you contemplate Snowmageddon 2016? Try this Smith Meadows Kitchen Pasta recipe…
- 1 10 oz box herbed flavored papardelle from Smith Meadows
- 1 small onion, chopped and quickly sautéed in olive oil until brown
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg, sprinkled on top of the onions
- Juice and zest of one small lemon
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, roasted on 350 until golden brown and smells divine
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-10 Tuscan Kale Leaves
- 2-4 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup Smith Meadows broth or reserved pasta water from the pot
- (optional) 1/2 cup crème fraiche or heavy whipping cream
Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 2 small handfuls of salt. Wash and chop the kale into ribbons the same width as the papardelle. Put the stems aside. Place the sautéed onions, roasted pistachios, lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 TBSPS olive oil, salt and kale stems into a food processor. Chop until you get a chunky consistency that suits your palate.
Once the water comes to a boil, throw the kale in first. Wait 15-30 seconds. Add the papardelle. Cook for two minutes. Drain the pasta. Toss with the pistachio pesto and the cream or more olive oil. If it is too dry, add the broth or reserved pasta water. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and/or cracked Szechuan pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Serve with a glass of chardonnay and follow up with a winter salad of greens, fennel, grapefruit and olive oil!